Educating and equipping discerning disciples of Jesus Christ for restorative work in His kingdom
All of the Cedars Christian School weekly news is published here.
Get the Shake
Cedars publishes an e-newsletter every week. Sign up here to get important updates and news about the school.
The Eagle’s Nest Concession will be opening for high school students on Monday, December 6! Our Grade 12 students will be running the concession as a fundraiser for their graduation dinner and activities.
It will be open five days a week (except for hot lunch days) and high school students can purchase hot beverages, lunch meal items, snacks, and more.
If you prefer not to give your child cash, you can purchase vouchers that can be redeemed for items in the school store. These vouchers are available at the Main Office and may be paid for online on our payment page or via debit at the office.
Over the past month or so, K-6 students have been preparing for our Christmas musical in their weekly music classes. Cast members have been practicing their roles at lunch in Mrs. Toninato’s classroom. Starting next week, we will be bringing K-2 and Grade 3-6 students together for combined practices and a culminating performance on December 16th.
In alignment with our school Communicable Disease Prevention Plan, we will be applying the following health and safety measures and considerations:
- Parents / Caregivers are encouraged to be vigilant with respect to performing daily health checks with their children. With K-2 and Grade 3-6 students together, there is a larger potential exposure group.
- Students in the mass choir will wear masks throughout the practice and performance – including times they are singing – unless they have previously obtained a mask exemption through our school process. Exception may be made for some actors for whom speaking into a mic while wearing a mask may be difficult.
- K-2 and Grade 3-6 practices and performance will be separate. This will reduce the time that groups are on the stage together, and the overall number of students “on stage” for practices and performance. Less than 100 students will be on stage for any given practice or performance – similar to a weekly chapel experiences.
- A 20 minute break between groups will allow the practice/performance room air to be cleared ahead of subsequent users.
- Doors in the gym and windows in the church will be opened whenever possible (depending on outside temperatures) during practices and performance to promote air circulation.
- Combined practices will be in the gym (our largest inside space), and will be spread over 4 mornings and kept as short as possible.
- The church rehearsals and performance will be in the sanctuary (large inside space). K-2 and Grade 3-6 performances will be separate.
- Eating on and off-site will take place in spaces that are clean, and hand hygiene will be prioritized.
- Rehearsals and performance will be without an audience – with the exception of K-2 students viewing the Grade 3-6 rehearsal on Wednesday, Dec 15th.
We regret that parents/caregivers will not be able to experience this year’s event as a live performance, but are working hard to put together a high quality video that will be shared with families to view together over the Christmas break.
If you have any questions or concerns with respect to health and safety considerations, please direct them to our Principal, Shane Nelson.
Grade 8 Volleyball District Results
1. Girls ended the season very well finishing 6th out of 12 teams at the District Championships held at CNC this past weekend. Thanks to Mrs. Kynoch and Mr. Hiller for the excellent coaching!
2. The Grade 8 Boys did not finish the season as well as they had hoped but overall they too had a good season. Thanks to Caleb Wilson who stepped in for Mr. Wilson to coach the boys through the end of the season!
Basketball Begins this Week!
Senior Boys are at Nechako Valley this weekend to take part in the NVSS Icebreaker Tournament. Games are Friday at 4:30, Saturday 10:00 and 2:00
Junior Girls are at Duchess Park Friday 4:00 versus DPSS A team
Junior Boys are at Shas Ti Kelly Road Friday 4:00 versus STKR
Cedars PAC is hosting a breakfast for the High School students on Wednesday, Dec. 8, 2021. We need 8-10 volunteers to help prep, cook, service, and clean.
Any amount of time you can give is welcomed and appreciated!
Cooking starts at 6:00am. Servers need to arrive between 7:30-7:45. Below are time slots and role details:
- 6:00am: (Kitchen)
- 6:30am (Kitchen)
- 7:00am (Kitchen)
- 7:45am (Servers)
- 8:30-9:00am (Cleanup)
- masks are required at all times while in the school
- wash hands when you arrive
- gloves need to be worn when handling and serving food
- the students will need to be served – don’t allow them to help themselves
If you can help out, please get in touch with Ginger Herle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congratulations to the Senior Boys and Girls Volleyball teams for their zone tournament success this past weekend. Both teams went undefeated in winning their respective zone championships held at Duchess Park Secondary School. Both teams will be off to Provincials Dec. 1-4. The Girls are going to Castlegar and the boys are off to Nanaimo.
Junior Girls were silver medallists at their District Championships, held at PGSS. They lost to Duchess Park in a close match 2-1.
Our K-6 students are busy preparing for our Christmas musical entitled, Glory to God in the Lowest! This year’s musical will feature live musicians, student actors, and grade 3-6 choir – telling the story of Christ’s lowly birth and history-changing life. Our K-2 students will be preparing “opening act” special music as well!
With the recent extension of Northern Health event and gathering orders, we regret that there will be no in-person evening performances. Instead, we will be sharing a video recording of the performance for families to take in together over the Christmas break. Mr. Wall and some of our high school student video-editors will be volunteering their time and expertise to put this video together for us.
First Baptist Church has generously agreed to allow us to use their sanctuary for our performance. A drop-off schedule for the week of December 14-16 will be shared in subsequent communications. Students will be bused back to the school for pick up at the end of the day. As there are no evening recordings, Friday, December 17th will be a regular full day of instruction, starting at 8:30am.
We look forward to sharing this performance and advent message with you and yours!
We can all agree; God is our provider. God is our source of life, and He provides for our needs. We can count on that.
To date, our community has given just over $46,000 toward reaching our Annual Giving Goal of $200,000.
We are thankful for a community that continues to bless the school with its generosity.
We expect the giving total to increase by the end of the year once we add in the Purdys and Boterkoek fundraiser profits and with the continuing of the year-end donations.
If you still wish to make a year-end donation towards the building expansion project, there are three ways you can do that:
1. Donate online through our website’s Payment Page
2. Write a cheque payable to “Cedars Christian School” and either mail it or drop it off at the Business Office
3. Set up a monthly pledge. You can arrange this through our Business Office by email or by phone – 250-564-0707.
Note that donations received by Dec. 31, 2021, will be eligible for the 2021 tax receipt.
Thank you so much for being so supportive of Cedars Christian School, For helping to ensure we can continue to provide practical and functional space to educate and equip discerning disciples of Jesus Christ for restorative work in His kingdom.
Dear Cedars Community,
We would like to thank our staff and administration for their hard work through this fall. The Fall has brought some unique challenges with the ongoing pandemic, and the burning of the bus with damage to school property – but through it all we have seen time and again the faithfulness of God and have heard many encouraging reports of how God has shown Himself in these situations.
One of the decisions before the Board has been that of vaccine mandates for staff. The Board has agreed not to require Covid-19 vaccine mandates at this time for our staff. The Board recommends vaccination as an important layer of protection – as well as diligent use of all our protective measures including masking, hand hygiene, ventilation when able and staying home when you are unwell in order to provide a safe classroom environment.
Thank you to those who have reached out to the Board this Fall with offers of support, prayer and for expressing concerns and thoughts on the different issues before us. The voice of our community is important!
Finally, a reminder that we have a virtual society meeting on Tuesday, November 30th at 7pm. Please consider joining in and hearing what God is doing in our midst – including updates on our 2021-2024 Strategic Plan.
The Cedars Board of Directors
We’ll be holding our society’s annual general meeting on Zoom on Tuesday, November 30, 20210. The Zoom meeting will start at 6:30pm with business beginning at 7:00pm. The meeting information was included in the November 24th Shake newsletter.
Society members will be registered in our systems to vote electronically at the meeting. A reminder that yearly membership declarations will need to be submitted by November 29, 2021.
Tomorrow (Thursday, November 25) is the last day to book an Elementary Parent/Teacher Interview online. Booking forms will be closed at 3:00pm. You can book your appointment at:
If you need to make changes to your appointment(s) or book an appointment after closing date, please call the Main Ooffice.