A vision for Christian education in Prince George brought families together in 1977. This vision continues to draw families to Cedars Christian School today.
This vision is still growing – and so are we! Join us in this exciting adventure as God leads to grow our facilities in the coming year.
21/22 Giving Goal
Current Total: $268,000!!!!
Our Story . . .
Cedars Christian School opened its doors to 78 students in 1977 after a decade of prayer and sacrificial giving by a group of families who came together with a vision to establish a Christian education option for families with school-aged children in Prince George. The initial school structure, purchased from the school district, contained only a few classrooms and had no gymnasium.
. . . His Story
Over the last 5 years, targeted giving and Roots for Life fundraising capital have been invested in major restorative work in our current facility, including: library renovation, intermediate and high school washroom renovations, indoor/outdoor painting, outdoor loop and parking lot surface improvements, and a gym floor replacement. We are continually grateful for the gift of this place. As stewards of this gift, we work with 350+ PreK-12 students each year, and have sent nearly 600 graduates into all corners of the world in a wide variety of vocations. God’s faithfulness over the last 40+ years has made it clear that this is not just our story… it is His story!
Cedars Is . . . Our Growing Together Videos
A college-sized, high school gymnasium not only relieves pressure on our current gym space, it will provide opportunities for onsite practices for senior teams, local hosting of games and tournaments, and the use of our location for non-athletic events such as fine arts performances and conferences. This new space will make Cedars a significant resource to the community as an event center.
New Learning Spaces
The steel structure envelop provides tremendous flexibility to create spaces that meet school-based and 21st century learning needs. The two floor section will feature a large fine arts space for high school gatherings, worship arts, band and drama performances. It will also provide 3-4 general classrooms for expanding our high school program and a large foyer and concession for hosting events.
Growing Together Milestones, 2021
- 30K donation received!
- New field prepared; irrigation installed; sod laid with lots of community participation! Over $200K value added to the new school site through gifts in kind and donated labour and equipment!
- New financing secured to complete “phase 1” (foyer, washrooms and usable gym). Possible use of new gym in Spring 2022!
- Crushed rock walking trail built around the perimeter of the new building site
- Another $100K donation!
- Groundwork for perimeter running trail and new irrigated field begins
- Significant $100K donation!
- Windows and doors completed; building to lockup!
- Windows installed and building enclosure nearing completion
- Concrete slab poured on main and second levels
- New Gymnasium Open House – November 19th
- Steel frame structure and insulated cladding completed
- Building Permit issued!
- Work on the foundation begins
- Construction management awarded to Formula Contractors Ltd. (Paul Tiefensee – CEO)
- Completed drawings submitted at the City for building permit
- Written confirmation of BMO loan to cover the project
- Received over 120,000 in donations from Sept to Dec 2019
- Key planning discussion took place to review the design details for the fine arts and gym space
- Additional Dessert Night planned for Alumni students and families
- Met with all staff to review design details and discuss the possible use of the space
- Gravel and compaction completed at a fraction of retail costs due to an outpouring of gift-in-kind support from our community!
- Proposal to purchase of Preston Road section in front of new building site passed by City Council.
- Over 75 people attended our Capital Campaign Dessert Nights hear updates about the expansion project and have an opportunity to give or pledge toward our $2 million capital campaign goal.
- Excavation of building site, development of road access through brewery driveway for gravel trucks, gravel deliveries
- Riparian permit granted; gravel permit/access granted
- Dedication of the new building expansion site at year-end closing BBQ
- Capital Campaign promotional videos released; forested area on property cleared; high school gymnasium bleachers (600 person seating) purchased and put in storage
- Capital Campaign branding (“Growing Together”) unveiled; brochure and website release
- Pre-design work begins with Kraun, JCI, and L&M groups
- Letters of Inquiry delivered to potential donors
- New 3-year Strategic Plan unveiled with significant facility expansion goals
- Society votes to approve moving forward with new building expansion project
How Can I Help Cedars Grow?
The most important thing we can do to grow together is pray.
“Have you ever said, ‘Well all we can do now is pray?’…When we come to the end of ourselves, we come to the beginning of God.”
– Billy Graham
It might be obvious, but one of the biggest things families can do is keep their kids here to graduation! Stay. Let us commit to grow together for the long haul—investing in relationships that will last for a lifetime and beyond!
Although financial gifts are needed, donations of materials and services “in kind” will be significant in reducing the amount we need to borrow to complete this project. And, if you have skills and time you are willing to share, we’d love to connect your gift with our real needs!
We are excited about what God has done and continues to do in our midst! We encourage you to share the story of God’s faithfulness and work at Cedars with those in your circles. Stay tuned to weekly Shake updates, attend monthly town hall meetings… and share how we are growing together at Cedars!