As you can well guess, daily life at Cedars is a busy one with 13 grades of students on the premises! It starts out with drop-off time and ends up with pick-up time. In between are bells and class changes and PE and recess and… well, let’s just get started, shall we?
Our first bell rings at 8:25am each day. Primary students line up in their grades at the elementary entrance and are met by their teachers. Intermediate and high school students go to their classrooms. All students should be in class by the second bell which rings at 8:30am. Late students are tracked and it is recorded in their attendance records.
The regular dismissal time for all students is 2:55pm, except for Wednesdays. Each Wednesday, our teachers use the afternoon for Research and Development, so school is dismissed at 1:30pm.
You can find details of the bell schedules for both high school and elementary on our /parent-resources page.
Drop-Off, Pick-Up, and Supervision Times
Elementary supervision begins at 8:15am and ends at 3:15pm. Children should be picked up by 3:15pm on regular school days and by 1:45pm on Early Dismissal Wednesdays.
Drop-off and pick-up times also mean a lot of traffic! In order to keep your children safe, please be sure to adhere to the following rules:
Traffic Rules at Cedars
- Be Patient and Gracious! It’s a big job to get over 300 kids off to school each day. We appreciate every effort to be kind, courteous, and patient with other drivers at drop-off and pick-up times.
- Give Right of Way! Yield to loop traffic when entering traffic flow from the back parking lot.
- Drop Kids Off in Front of School! Drop-off zone is the roadway in front of the staff parking lot as you exit the school grounds.
- Use the Crosswalk! Keep children safe – use the crosswalk area in the back parking lot to reach the school grounds.
Please Do NOT:
- Speed! Speed Limit is 20 km/h on school grounds at all times.
- Go the Wrong Way! One-way traffic only through the loop and back parking lot.
- Drop Off in Back Lot! Use back parking lot to park and walk young children to the school grounds via the crosswalk.
- Drop Off from Pacific Western Brewing Driveway! PWB has asked us specifically not to use their drive for drop-off for safety reasons. Let’s be good neighbours!
- Park in No-Parking Zones! Parking is not allowed along the playground fence, along the field fence, along the basketball court, or a Hurricane High Pressure across the street.
- Drop Off in Staff Lot! …unless you have a handicap child or special permission.
And the days go on…
Our elementary classes say The Lord’s Prayer each morning, led by the principal over the PA system. Recess is from 10:15am to 10:30am and lunch break is from 12:00pm to 12:45pm. Chapel is held Wednesdays right after lunch until the end of the day at 1:30pm. Parents are welcome to join us for chapel if they would like.
High school students have two shorter gathering times a week starting at 8:30am on Tuesdays and Thursdays and running for about 20 minutes. Tuesday mornings are used for a devotional time and Thursdays are for a community worship time – which is led by our Worship Arts class. Again, parents are welcome to join us for these chapels.
Staff also meet weekly for a short devotional and prayer time on Monday mornings. It’s a privilege to be part of a community who prays for and supports one another in these ways!
Nuts and Scents
One of the daily realities for quite a few of our students is living with life-threatening allergies to nuts. Please ensure that all foods your child(ren) brings to school are nut-free to keep everyone safe.
We also have several students with severe allergies or other conditions which are aggravated by strong scents. Please keep strongly-scented deodorants and hand sanitizers for home use and send non-perfumed products to school whenever possible.
Coming Up – Events
In our next email, we’ll take a look at all the great events held during the school year!