From the Board
The BC Societies Act has recently been updated by the BC Government. This means that Societies and non-profit organizations need to re-write their Constitutions and By-Laws.
In order to comply with the regulations, the Board of Directors’ Policy Committee has begun work on updating the Constitution and Bylaws of the Association of Christian Education of Prince George (operating as Cedars Christian School). Throughout the process, we will work to ensure that the beliefs and intentions upon which the society was founded may be maintained and our freedoms protected.
The timeline the committee has laid out is as follows:
- May 2016 – Each committee member to review the current constitution and bylaws and group school activities under CRA purpose definition
- May 2016 – Update the society with the reason and timeline via the website and with a link from the Cedar Shake
- June 2016 – Define purpose statements based on current/future school activities
- June 2016 – Create draft constitution
- June 2016 – Send background and draft constitution to lawyer for review
- Oct 2016 – Define the model society member
- Oct 2016 – Define the model director
- Create draft bylaws
- May 2017 – Send draft bylaws to lawyer for review
- Nov 2017 – Send final draft Constitution and Bylaws to Lawyer for review
- May 2018 – Society Approval
The Board will keep the Society updated on our progress. We welcome feedback throughout the process. Please feel free to contact the committee with any concerns, questions, or input that you may have at email@example.com You can get updates on the Society Updates page.
January Board Report
One year ago [as of the posting of this article], the Cedars’ Board enlisted some input from two different Christian professional fundraisers/development experts as to how we might best go about building a strong donor base for the short- and long-term capital needs of our school (that is, for expenses that tuition does not cover).
One such group from the U.S. met with us and gave us helpful initial advice at no charge. The other consultant, whom we hired to give us more tailored initial input, was Tom Berekoff, formerly Vice President External for UNBC. He provided a very detailed report and outline of how he could assist us in the future, should we hire him to do so.
Copies of Tom Berekoff’s report to the Board are available at the Main Office. Please feel free to sign out a copy, read through it at your leisure, and then return it to the office.
Questions? Speak with any of your Board members:
Dave Wagner, Susanne Gordon, Jason Oliver, Troy Belbeck, Aaron Whitehouse (chair), and Robin Bjarnason